Farm Update (August 28th)
Have you been enjoying the end-of-Summer veggies? As the weather turns from hot to cool, the veggies out in the Carrot Chariot fields show no signs of stopping! Read on for our weekly PICKUP/DELIVERY INFO, THIS WEEK’S CROP, and our WEEKLY RECIPES.
Pickup & Delivery Info
Just a reminder for everyone — pickup at Rake Beer Project has moved out of the parking lot and into the taproom, so make sure you come to the back parking lot and look for us inside.
Construction is still ongoing in the building. So unless you have a hard-hat and steel-toed shoes, please make sure you’re coming to the back of the building to pickup your veggies. Do not attempt to go from the first floor to the bottom floor.
This Week’s Crop
Summer squash (full shares only)
Cucumber (full shares only)
Green peppers (full shares only)
Okra (full shares only)
This week’s recipes present two lovely ideas: a way to utilize not-oft-cooked-with tarragon in service of carrots and green beans (delicious!), and a delicious drink recipe that the kids can also enjoy! And oh, so refreshing! Check them out below.
Cantaloupe-Basil Agua Fresca
- 15 cups chopped cantaloupe about two 3 1/2-pound melons
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- Working in batches, purée cantaloupe in a blender until smooth.
- Set a fine-mesh sieve over a large bowl; line sieve with cheesecloth. Strain purée into bowl; gather cheesecloth into a bundle and squeeze any remaining juice into bowl. Repeat process with fresh cheesecloth, straining into a large pitcher (you should have about 5 cups juice).
- Add lemon juice, basil, and 2 cups cold water to pitcher. Let steep at room temperature for 1–2 hours. Fill glasses with ice. Divide agua fresca among glasses.
Tarragon Carrots with Green Beans
- 1 cup halved green beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 14 ounces carrots cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine haricots verts, water, and carrots in a skillet over medium-high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 6 minutes or until carrots are just tender. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, uncovered, 4 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add butter; cook 2 minutes, stirring to coat. Stir in tarragon, salt, and pepper.
We’re here to serve, Carrot Charioteers. We hope that you’re satisfied with the veggies and that you’re having an excellent wind-down to your Michigan Summer. Don’t hesitate to reply and let us know if you have any questions about the veggies, or any feedback for us! Thanks so much for your support.
Your friends at Carrot Chariot