Farm Update (August 7th)
Pickup & Delivery Info
Just a reminder for everyone — pickup at Rake Beer Project has moved out of the parking lot and into the taproom, so make sure you come to the back parking lot and look for us inside.
Construction is still ongoing in the building. So unless you have a hard-hat and steel-toed shoes, please make sure you’re coming to the back of the building to pickup your veggies. Do not attempt to go from the first floor to the bottom floor.
This Week’s Crop
- Summer squash
- Salad mix
- Basil (thai/Genovese)
- Tomatoes (limited – full share only)
- Green beans (limited – full share only)
This week we wanted to share new recipes to use that squash and cucumber in! They’re both flavor sensations, and couldn’t be simpler. Check them out below!
Creamy Basil-Black Pepper Cucumbers
- 1 1/4 pounds cucumbers peeled and cut into spears
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves chopped
- Garnish: lime peel strips
- Toss together cucumbers and salt in a large bowl, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Whisk together yogurt and next 4 ingredients; gently stir into cucumber mixture.
- Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours.
- Add basil, and toss to combine.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Season with salt.
Squash Fritters with Basil Butter
- 3-5 squash shredded
- ½ onion finely diced
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4-5 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4-5 basil leaves chopped
- ¼ cup salted butter softened
Thanks again, Carrot Charioteers, for your support. Don’t hesitate to reply and let us know if you have any questions about the veggies, and let us know how the recipes turn out!
Happiest of Summers to you and your family — we hope you’re making the most of this glorious season.
Your friends at Carrot Chariot