Farm Update (July 23rd)
It’s time for our weekly farm update! Is it really almost August already? Where did July go?? That’s OK, there’s plenty of Summer and fresh veggies to look forward to yet. 🙂
Read on for our weekly PICKUP/DELIVERY INFO, THIS WEEK’S CROP, and our WEEKLY RECIPES.
Pickup & Delivery Info
Just a reminder for everyone — pickup at Rake Beer Project has moved out of the parking lot and into the taproom, so make sure you come to the back parking lot and look for us inside.
Construction is still ongoing in the building. So unless you have a hard-hat and steel-toed shoes, please make sure you’re coming to the back of the building to pickup your veggies. Do not attempt to go from the first floor to the bottom floor.
This Week’s Crop
- Mustard greens
- Kale & Collards mix
- Cucumber (limited – full shares only)
- Summer squash (limited – full shares only)
- Swiss chard (limited – full shares only)
This week we’ve got some new ways to incorporate several of our ingredients — and everything is very healthy this week! We hope you enjoy our recipes for Honey glazed radishes and turnips, as well as a Baby Collard salad recipe with a fantastic champagne dressing.
Honey-Glazed Radishes and Turnips
- 2 tbsp. margarine or butter
- 1 large shallot
- 1 1/2 lb. radishes
- 1 1/2 lb. small turnips
- 1 c. water
- 1/4 c. lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced mint leaves
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- In 12-inch skillet, melt margarine or butter on medium-high.
- Add shallot and cook 2 minutes or until golden and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add radishes and turnips; stir until well coated.
- Stir in water, broth, honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 7 to 10 minutes longer or until vegetables are glazed and most of liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in mint and chives. Transfer to serving platter and garnish with mint leaves.
Baby Collard Salad with Walnuts, Pecorino and Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups loosely packed baby collard greens stems removed
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk the vinegar, mustard and honey together in a large bowl. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking to emulsify the dressing.
- Add the collards, hazelnuts and cheese to the bowl. Using clean hands, work the dressing into the leaves, massaging them for almost 1 minute. The acid will break down the leaves a bit and tenderize them. Season the salad with salt and pepper.
We hope your July is coming to a smooth end, and that you’ve found some time for relaxation so far this Summer. Don’t hesitate to reply and let us know if you have any questions about the veggies, and let us know how the recipes turn out!
Happy Summer, and we’ll talk to you again soon.
Your friends at Carrot Chariot