Farm Update (July 31st)
Happy last-day-of-July to you! Our weekly veggies have just been harvested, and they’re being assembled into bags for delivery/pickup as we speak! We’re super excited for our shareholders, because this week everyone is getting quite the bumper crop, and there’s lots of new things to try! Read on for our weekly PICKUP/DELIVERY INFO, THIS WEEK’S CROP, and our WEEKLY RECIPES.
Pickup & Delivery Info
Just a reminder for everyone — pickup at Rake Beer Project has moved out of the parking lot and into the taproom, so make sure you come to the back parking lot and look for us inside.
Construction is still ongoing in the building. So unless you have a hard-hat and steel-toed shoes, please make sure you’re coming to the back of the building to pickup your veggies. Do not attempt to go from the first floor to the bottom floor.
This Week’s Crop
The height of Summer is really starting to grace us with some of its best goodies! This week we’ve got lots of newcomers for everyone: cucumbers and baby carrots! And we’re just seeing the first blush of tomatoes and cherry tomatoes; lots more of those coming up in the next week or two for all.
- Baby Carrots
- green beans
- Kale, collards mix
- Tatsoi, arugula, mustard greens
- Salad Mix
- Tomatoes (limited – full shares only
We’re back with some more fabulously simple side dishes made from farm-fresh ingredients; both of them salads with a European twist.
Check out the recipes for French Grated Carrot Salad and Chopped Cucumber & Tomato salad!
Chopped Cucumber Caprese Salad
- 1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium cucumber peeled and cut into quarters
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cut into chunks (or use ciligene)
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves torn into small pieces
- 2 Tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Pinch of salt pepper and sugar, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, mozzarella and basil leaves.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Pour over the tomato-mozzarella mixture and toss.
- Serve immediately, or prepare up to 4 hours ahead of serving.
French Grated Carrot Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1 pound carrots or baby carrots peeled
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice from one lemon
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons honey to taste
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 finely sliced scallions or 1tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- Grate the carrots in a food processor or using a handheld grater. Set aside.
- In a salad bowl, combine the dijon mustard, lemon juice, honey, vegetable oil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the carrots, fresh parsley and scallions (or shallotand toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Notes: Depending on the sweetness of the carrots, you may want to add more or less honey. Also, if you make this salad ahead of time, be sure to check the seasoning again before serving as the flavors tend to mellow.
Thanks again, Carrot Charioteers, for your support. Don’t hesitate to reply and let us know if you have any questions about the veggies, and let us know how the recipes turn out!
Happy Summer, and we’ll talk to you again soon.
Your friends at Carrot Chariot