Farm Update (September 18th)
Happy veggie day! We’re excited by the change in weather recently; not only does it mean some final beach days and Indian Summer vibes, but also our veggies are getting a final boost, which means we will be able to deliver veggies for an additional week!! So we will deliver/drop-off as usual today, and our final day for veggies this season will be Wednesday, September 25th. Though it may be slightly smaller share on the final week, we may even have some final surprises in store for you next week. Stay tuned!
In the meantime, read on for our weekly PICKUP/DELIVERY INFO, THIS WEEK’S CROP, and our WEEKLY RECIPES.
Pickup & Delivery Info
Just a reminder for everyone — RAKE BEER PROJECT IS FINALLY OPEN!! We’re so happy for them! So make sure you come to the back parking lot and look for us inside. Stop to have a beer (or a non-alcoholic Woke Roast) if you’re thirsty!
This Week’s Crop
- Salad Mix
- Bush Beans
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green onion
- Peppers (bell, lunchbox, jalapeno) (full shares only)
- Summer Squash (full shares only)
We know, we know… we’re obsessed with side dishes. But they are often the best way to bend the delicious power of veggies onto the plate! To this noble cause, we bring you two additional side dishes to zazz up your next main dish. The first is Hoisin beans for some quick & savory Asian flavors (can you say umami??). The second recipe this week is for those of you who asked — “what should I do with my carrot tops?” We found a recipe for that! Make sure to check out Roasted Carrots and Cherry Tomatoes with Carrot-Top Pesto Dressing, it’s one of the best!
Roasted Carrots and Cherry Tomatoes with Carrot-Top Pesto Dressing
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 packed cups carrot top leaves and tender stems plus 8 to 12 large sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro sprigs or parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs. coarsely chopped toasted walnuts divided
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- 11/2 tsp. white balsamic vinegar divided
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs. olive oil divided
- 1 lb. carrots trimmed and cut lengthwise into sticks
- 12 oz. large cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium red onion cut into wedges
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
To make Pesto:
- Mince garlic in food processor.
- Add carrot tops, cilantro, and 1/3 cup toasted walnuts; process until finely chopped.
- Add Parmesan, and process to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and pulse in 1 tsp. vinegar.
- Gradually pour in 1/3 cup oil through tube with motor running; process until incorporated. (Pesto will be thick.)
- Transfer half of Pesto to small bowl; reserve other half for another use.
- Whisk remaining 1 Tbs. oil, remaining 1/2 tsp. vinegar, and 1 Tbs. very hot water into Pesto in bowl to achieve dressing consistency; set aside.
To make Roasted Vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine carrots, tomatoes, onion, and oil in large bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Transfer to baking sheets.
- Roast 30 to 35 minutes, or until carrots are browned and tender and tomatoes are shriveled and dark around edges.
- Use thin spatula to loosen vegetables from baking sheets without breaking them up, and transfer to platter.
- Dollop Pesto over Roasted Vegetables, top with remaining 1 Tbs. chopped walnuts, and garnish with carrot top sprigs.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh green string beans
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce I use Kikkoman
- Wash beans and chop the section off that connects to the stem.
- Bring to cups of water to a boil in a pot big enough to place a mesh strainer in it above the water so as to steam the green beans, or use a vehicle meant for steaming.
- Steam green beans for 10-15 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Remove from heat and place in bowl.
- Add butter and Hoison sauce.
- Mix together and serve hot. (I like them cold too).
The end of Summer is such a joy, and as we transition fully into Fall, it is with great gratitude to the Earth, to the seasons, the plants & animals… and most of all to you, Carrot Charioteers. Thank you for your continued support. We hope you’re having a delightful September, and please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Your friends at Carrot Chariot